A nut-free and gluten-free version of a family favorite cookie. Soy butter and nut-free chocolate spread come perfectly together to create that peanut butter and chocolate flavor everyone loves.
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Don’t Go Nuts. The opinions are my own.
Being a gluten-free blogger, I am proud to be part of a larger community that advocates for all food allergies. All food allergies are serious and some are even life-threatening. For those facing nut allergies, there are several options for nut-free butter. I have had the opportunity to try several types of nut-free spreads and I fell in love with the Don’t Go Nuts spreads. I was thrilled when they asked me to partner with them to develop a cookie recipe with their spreads.
If you’re new to the idea of “peanut-free peanut butter,” you may be wondering how to find the best peanut butter alternatives. Soy butter spread tastes very similar to peanut butter. Don’t Go Nuts organic soy butter is made from organic, non-GMO dry roasted soybeans; organic, non-GMO soybean oil; and sustainably sourced organic palm oil. It is packed with protein with 7-8g of protein per serving. Their soy butter also contains 4-5g of fiber per serving as well as iron and B vitamins. All five Don’t Go Nuts flavors, are certified organic, non-GMO, certified gluten-free, vegan and Kosher-dairy. You can find Don’t Go Nuts online, in stores and at their Amazon store!
For the cookie’s centers, I choose to make a chocolate fudge filling using the Don’t Go Nuts Chocolate Spread. This filling would make a perfect chocolate frosting for cupcakes too. If you are a fan of hazelnut chocolate spreads you are going to love the Don’t Go Nuts chocolate spread!
★Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Gluten-Free Soy Butter Thumbprint Cookies (Nut-Free, Dairy-Free Option)
- 1 cup Don't Go Nuts Soy Butter Slightly Sweet or Cinnamon-for a kiss of cinnamon flavor
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened (dairy-free use Earth Balance butter)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups gluten-free flour I like Pillsbury gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum leave out if your gluten-free flour already has it
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- 1 1/2 cups Don't Go Nuts Soy Butter Chocolate Spread
- 1/4 powdered sugar
- In a large bowl cream together butter, soy butter, brown sugar and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the pure vanilla extract and the eggs until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (omit if your flour already has it), baking soda and salt. Stir until fully combined.
- Add the gluten-free flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Cover the cookie dough and refrigerate for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Add granulated sugar to a small bowl.
- Scoop 1 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. (I used a cookie scoop.)
- Roll cookie dough ball in the granulated sugar and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Use the back of a 1/4 teaspoon to make an indent in the center of the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl mix the chocolate soy butter and powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Use either a spoon or a piping bag to add the filling to the cookies.
- Store in airtight container.
Mama says, "Check all of your labels!"