BLT sandwiches are one of my favorite flavor combinations. That’s why I decided to create a gluten-free bacon, tomato and cheese macaroni salad. This super easy gluten-free macaroni salad is perfect for potlucks, backyard barbecues, or as an everyday meal!
I adore macaroni salad. I prefer it to be creamy, but light, with a sweet and tangy dressing. The dressing is made with real mayonnaise, white vinegar, yellow mustard, sugar, salt, and onion powder. The tasty addition of bacon, tomatoes and cheddar cheese perfectly complement the sweet and tangy dressing.
Gluten-free pasta can be tricky. I have tried a lot of different brands of gluten-free pasta and based on flavor and texture my favorite brand of gluten-free pasta is Barilla. I always salt my water, at least a tablespoon for 1 pound of pasta in 4 quarts (16 cups) water.
Also, add a teaspoon of olive oil to the water to keep the pasta from sticking together. Make sure to add the salt, olive oil and pasta to the water once it has come to a rolling boil. It is very important that you cook the pasta al dente to the box’s directions. I always rinse my pasta with cold water after draining it to keep it from cooking longer and getting mushy.
You can see how easy this gluten-free bacon, tomato and cheese macaroni salad is to make in the video below!
Do you love pasta salad as much as I do? Check out my recipe for my gluten-free Creamy Italian Pasta Salad.
Let’s Connect! You can FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
★Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Gluten-Free Bacon, Tomato & Cheese Macaroni Salad
- 12 oz gluten-free macaroni noodles I like Barilla gluten-free.
- 1 cup bacon cooked and chopped (I like Jenny-O turkey bacon.)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Dairy-free use Violfe Life chedddar shreds
- 1 tablespoon salt for pasta water I cook with pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for pasta water
- 1 cup mayonnaise I am a Hellman's girl.
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Bring water to a rolling boil. Add salt, olive oil and pasta to the water and cook to box directions for al dente.
- After draining the pasta, rinse pasta with cold water.
- Add pasta to a large bowl.
- Chop bacon and cook until desired crispiness.
- Cut grape tomatoes into quarters.
- In a small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Add the dressing to pasta and stir until fully coated.
- Add bacon, tomatoes and cheddar cheese to the pasta and stir until fully combined.
- You can serve immediately or refrigerate for later. (It’s even better the second day!)
I am taking this dish to a picnic. Can I add the bacon just before serving in order to keep bacon crisp?
Hi Connie! Yes you could always add the bacon right before you serve it. Just make sure to stir it well so the bacon gets mixed in. I hope everyone enjoys it!
I made this for a potluck at work and it was a hit! I was looking for something different than a traditional pasta salad. Thank you for an amazing recipe!
Hi Kristen. I am so happy that you enjoyed it! You are so welcome. I love sharing what I make for my family.
Have you tried to freeze any of your recipes? If so, do tgey hold up. My family is only 2 but i cook for an army so i can freeze leftovers for the nights im too tired to cook
Hi Carla! I do freeze some of my recipes because I often make a double batch and they hold up well. Is there are a specific recipe you were thinking about trying?