Easy gluten-free chicken and dumplings with a dairy-free option. A classic southern comfort food recipe your whole family is sure to enjoy!
My husband is from the South and this really influences my cooking style. When I went gluten-free, I knew it would be important to try and modify some of his favorite Southern recipes.
Chicken and dumplings is a favorite classic Southern comfort food recipe. It’s a creamy version of a chicken noodle soup and instead of noodles, you get fluffy dumplings.
This recipe is both my husband’s and oldest son’s favorite meal. My father-in-law even gave it his stamp of approval. Which is a big deal because he was raised eating chicken and dumplings made from scratch.
Gluten-Free chicken and dumplings is a super easy one-pot dinner to make. You can add your favorite vegetables or none at all. It’s an easy, delicious and filling meal that can be on your table in less than 40 minutes.
One of the shortcuts that I use to make my chicken and dumplings so easy, is that I buy a gluten-free rotisserie chicken and use the already cooked meat. It makes it easy peasy! Otherwise, I just boil a few chicken breasts and then dice them up.
The dumplings are super easy to make also because I use one of my favorite gluten-free products, Bisquick Gluten-Free mix. If you do not have the gluten-free Bisquick, you can make your own with this recipe. I’ve made the dumplings using both the store bought and homemade mix, and they both made great fluffy dumplings!
You are going to love this savory and creamy soup sprinkled with chicken and veggies along with the fluffy dumplings. Gluten-free chicken and dumplings is a super easy and comforting dish. A family favorite. I also like to serve it with homemade mashed potatoes. It’s like a big o’l hug in a bowl!
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Chicken and Dumplings.Print
Easy gluten-free chicken and dumplings with a dairy-free option. Gluten-Free chicken and dumplings is a super easy one-pot dinner to make. It’s delicious and filling meal that can be on your table in less than 40 minutes. A classic southern comfort food recipe your whole family is sure to enjoy!
- 3-4 cups cooked skinless chicken breasts, diced (I like to use chicken from a rotisserie chicken I buy at Walmart or Costco. Or I boil the chicken breasts. )
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups gluten-free frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups milk (dairy-free use cashew, coconut or almond milk)
- 6 tablespoons gluten-free cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2/3 cup milk (dairy-free use cashew, coconut or almond milk)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (dairy-free use Smart Balance/Earth Balance butter or coconut oil)
- In a large pot add chicken broth, diced chicken, sage, thyme and onion powder. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl add milk and cornstarch together and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Pour milk mixture into the large pot with the chicken broth and stir until fully combined. Continue to boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk eggs.
- Add gluten-free Bisquick to eggs and stir.
- Add melted butter and milk to the Bisquick mixture and stir until fully combined. The batter will be sticky.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls into the chicken broth mixture. (I like to use an ice cream scoop because I like my dumplings big.)
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Mama says, “Check all of your labels!”
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Chicken and Dumplings.