Sweet and creamy Gluten-Free Coconut Cream Pie. An easy coconut macaroon crust with a vanilla and coconut custard filling topped with fresh whipped cream.
Recipe originally posted April 2017, photos updated April 2018.
Who likes pie? Especially a cream pie!
Years ago, when we lived in Santa Fe, NM there was a restaurant that served a gluten-free coconut cream pie that was divine. It brought me back to my college days when I waited tables at the Silver Diner in Baltimore, MD.
Desserts, especially cream pies, at diners are world famous.
Have you ever been to a diner and not been able to keep from staring at the gorgeous pies and cakes in the dessert case?
Yup, me neither. Being gluten-free, those diner dessert delights were off limits…until now!
I was able to figure out how to make an easy gluten-free coconut cream pie.
Seriously, this recipe does not involve making a complicated, from scratch, gluten-free dough crust (been there, done that).
Think of the crust as a giant coconut macaroon.
The pie filling is a sweet vanilla and creamy coconut custard. The pie is finished with a homemade, whipped cream topping.
Gluten-Free Coconut Cream Pie In Just A Few Easy Steps.
- Mix the egg whites, shredded coconut and melted butter in a large bowl.
- Pat the coconut mixture into a greased pie pan to make the crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, mix gluten-free flour, sugar, milk and egg yolks.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute (use timer).
- Remove from heat and add coconut, vanilla, and butter.
- Pour the custard filling into the baked coconut crust and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Make the homemade whipped cream to spread or pipe on top of the pie before serving.
Sweet, creamy and dreamy gluten-free coconut cream pie.
Perfect for any occasion, or no occasion at all!
Take a look at a few of my other favorite gluten-free dessert recipes.
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- Gluten-Free Kentucky Butter Pound Cake
Gluten-Free Coconut Cream Pie
- 2 2/3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour (I like Pillsbury gluten-free)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 16 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar I like my whipped cream sweet. Adjust to your liking
- If you want your whipped cream to be stabilized add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Grease 9-inch pie pan with gluten-free cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine egg whites, shredded coconut and melted butter in a bowl
Pat coconut mixture into pie pan to make the crust.
Bake crust for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Please watch your crust because all ovens are different.
In a medium saucepan, mix gluten-free flour, sugar, milk and egg yolks.
Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute (use timer).
Remove from heat and add coconut, vanilla, and butter.
Pour the custard filling into crust. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Combine heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a large bowl.
Use a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form and it becomes firm. This pie works best with really firm whipped topping.
Before serving, either spread or pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie.
Optional: sprinkle with toasted coconut. To toast coconut, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle shredded coconut on pan and toast in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.
Mama says "Check all of the labels!"
You can subsite cool whip for the whipped cream topping.