Mama’s take on Grilled Chicken Chimichurri Salad. A super favorable twist on traditional chimichurri sauce is both the marinade and dressing for this glorious grilled chicken salad.
Grilled Chicken Chimichurri Salad
When I saw a beautiful Grilled Chimichurri Chicken and Avacado Salad on Facebook from Cafe Delites I immediately wanted to make it. But I can’t handle the heat of peppers and my husband needs to stay away from nightshades, so I went to work trying to figure out how I could do a nightshade free (no peppers) version of Chimichurri sauce.
When Betsy’s Best Gourmet Butter sent me their cashew butter to try, a light went off and I thought about one of my favorite dipping sauces.
Chimichurri Sauce with a Twist
Chimichurri sauce is both a perfect marinade and salad dressing. What makes my chimichurri sauce so different from the traditional sauce, is the cashew butter. It is sweetened with honey and has no peppers. It still has all of the other ingredients of a traditional chimichurri sauce, but it’s definitely a twist on traditional chimichurri sauce.
This super flavorful sauce only takes a few minutes to make by chopping the ingredients in a food processor (you can also chop by hand). After marinating the chicken breasts in the chimichurri sauce for a few hours, I grilled them in my ceramic grilling pan and they came out perfectly.
I was really happy that the grilled chicken turned out so flavorful and juicy. I seriously can’t handle dry, grilled chicken – no matter how much sauce you pour on top of it!
I try and eat a big beautiful salad for lunch every day. This salad is one of my favorites. The grilled chicken is perfectly marinated and the chimichurri sauce makes a perfect dressing to drizzle over your favorite salad fixings.
Disclosure: Mama Knows Gluten Free received the products mentioned above for free. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and believe will be good for our readers.
Looking for another favorable salad? Try my Southwest Quinoa Salad.Print
A super favorable twist on traditional chimichurri sauce is both the marinade and dressing for this glorious grilled chicken salad.
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup cashew butter (I like Betsy’s Best)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- your favorite salad fixings (pictured: romaine lettuce, avocados, cilantro, cucumbers, chopped cashews, chopped super blend mix, grape tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and a squeeze of fresh lime.)
- In a food processor puree cilantro, garlic, green onions, and cumin.
- In a microwave safe bowl stir together cashew butter, vinegars, turmeric, honey and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the cilantro mixture to the cashew butter mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Pour olive oil into the combined mixture and stir to finish the sauce.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- The sauce will make 1 1/2 cups. 1/2 a cup is used for the chicken marinade.
- Add two chicken breasts to a large plastic storage bag and pour 1/2 cup of the chimichurri sauce over the chicken. Seal the bag and allow the chicken to marinate for at least one hour (the longer the better).
- Add olive oil to your grill pan. Grill the chicken breasts on both sides until completely cooked.
- Allow chicken to cool before slicing it for the salad.
- Chop your favorite salad fixings.
- Place grilled chicken on top of salad.
- Drizzle, or pour (like me) the chimichurri sauce all over the salad.