This gluten-free Kentucky Butter Cake is a simple pound cake that is moist, buttery and coated with a sweet buttery glaze that creates a perfect sweet crunchy crust. With a dairy-free option.
Gluten-Free Pound Cake
My husband loves creme cakes. Creme cakes are a super moist bundt cake covered in a sugar glaze.
I wanted to try and make him a gluten-free version and stumbled upon a Facebook video from Cooking Panda for a Kentucky Butter Cake.
This is a popular tried and true pound cake recipe that has been around for a long time. I knew I had to try and modify the recipe to make a gluten-free version.
This Gluten-Free Kentucky Butter Cake is more like a butter pound cake, rather than a creme cake. Its flavor also reminds me of a glazed cake donut.
Easy Butter Pound Cake Recipe
This is one of the easiest butter pound cakes you will ever make. It is a one-bowl cake batter that is quickly whipped up with just a few simple ingredients.
In just a few easy steps you can make this gluten-free Kentucky Butter Cake.
- Mix all of the butter pound cake ingredients in a large bowl until it is fully combined. This is a really thick cake batter and it will fill up almost the whole bunt pan.
- Grease the bundt cake pan heavily with gluten-free cooking spray or butter.
- Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan and bake for 70 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Right before it’s time for the cake to come out of the oven, make your butter sauce.
- Once you take the cake out of the oven, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Pour the butter sauce all over the warm cake still in the pan.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan and then invert the cake onto a serving plate.
I have also included a dairy-free option to my gluten-free Kentucky pound cake recipe. My husband, my youngest son, and I are all dairy-free.
I promise it is just as delicious made with the dairy-free butter and dairy-free milk. So, you too can enjoy a gluten-free and dairy-free butter pound cake.
This gluten-free butter pound cake is so delightful served by its self, but is also perfect for strawberries and whipped cream.
It is a one bowl wonder bundt cake that is simple, moist, buttery and coated with a sweet buttery glaze that creates a perfect, sweet, crunchy crust.
Looking for more gluten-free cake recipes? Check out these gluten-free dessert recipes.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Panda
Gluten-Free Kentucky Butter Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter dairy-free use Smart Balance of Earth Balance butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour with xanthan gum. If your flour is without, add 3/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk Dairy-free use cashew, almond or rice milk Make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to the cup of milk and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- 1/3 cup butter melted (dairy-free use Smart Balance of Earth Balance butter)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Spray bundt pan with gluten-free cooking spray.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with your mixer.
Add the rest of the cake ingredients to your bowl and mix until fully combined. The batter will be very thick.
Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan and bake for 70 minutes until a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean.
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir continuously until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Do not bring to a boil.
Poke holes all over the warm cake with a knife and pour the butter glaze evenly over the cake while still in the pan.
Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan and then invert the cake onto a serving plate.
Mama says "Make sure you check all your labels!"
Recipe adapted from Cooking Panda.